Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Tablets in the Planning World

Tablets in the Planning World 4 years 1 month ago #38

• JCarney
  • Fresh Boarder
Is anyone currently using tablets in their professional life? If so, what device are you using and how are you using it? Any special software or IT issues? Is your employer providing it or are you "bringing your own device" (BYOD will be a big hurdle here).

I've brainstormed and am going to try to make the case that we need tablets for various types of field work, just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with them or have seen them used effectively.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Tablets in the Planning World 4 years 1 month ago #39

• HPerkins
  • Administrator
Here's a place to start:

www.coursera.org/course/techcity

I would love to take this course! You might get in touch with Jennifer to see if she's got any pointers or case studies.

Re: Tablets in the Planning World 4 years 1 month ago #40

• SHanson
  • Fresh Boarder
I have dollars budgeted for this item during our current fiscal year but haven't pulled the trigger yet as I need to do more research. (Perhaps this message string will help!)

Things I think we need:

1) The tablet needs to be able to take pictures. This is a no brainer. I need to be able to take this device into the field and utilize its high quality picture-taking ability. Preferably the device would have a camera on boths sides (front and back).
2) The tablet needs to be connected to the internet via a 4G network. Also a no brainer: Advantages will be that I can use google maps to find my way to sites, use the "locator" to show where pictures were taken, access email, and access "the cloud".
3) The tablet needs to be able to access information (Powerpoints, staff reports, site plans, etc) stored in "the Cloud." This will mean I no longer need to carry a flash drive to Plan Commission or ZBA meetings. And if I get asked an obsure question at a Council meeting, I will have access to the staff reports and site plans instantly.
4) The tablet will need a reasonably long battery life. 4 hours minimum.
5) I would prefer to use Android technology rather than Apple
6) I believe I am leaning toward the 10-inch sized tablets.
7) I would prefer to not have a separate contract with a provider different that our current smart phone provider. Not a deal-killer though.
8) I'll need a durable protective case.

I've been inpressed with the Google Nexus (which runs about $200 and uses the Android OS) but plan to pick the brain of folks more "technically adept" than I.

Any other thoughts?

Scott
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Attention:

You now only need ONE log in for Missouri Chapter and your regional Section. If you are a Saint Louis Metro Member, please register then click here or visit the membership page to pay your dues and register your account with us.